Initially, when people buy their computers they are pretty fast. However, over a period of time the speed is reduced drastically. It is mainly due to the fact that you haven’t taken care to maintain it. If you frequently use computers, then for sure you would have encountered such a problem at times. However, you can optimize their performance by taking some of the simplest preventive measures.
There are a number of factors that can affect the performance of your computer. Most users use the internet surfing on their computer and download a number of unwanted files along with the wanted ones. There can be virus or worms that can harm your computer. They take some memory to be active and hence, degrade the performance and slow down your computer.
Factors to be considered to control slowing down of computers
1. Emptying the recycle bin is one of the first things you have to do for better performance of computers. It can be found on the desktop of your system.
2. Next, you have to delete all the files present in the temporary folder. Go to temp folder and delete all files. To access the temp folder follow this instruction.
Start menu >> computer >> c drive >> windows folder >> temp folder.
Alternatively you may click on window key and type %temp% and then press enter key to open the contents of the temporary folder. Now, you can select all and delete them for better speed and performance.
3. Next you need to delete all the browsing history saved by your browser. To do this, just follow the steps given below.
- Click on windows button.
- Click on control panel.
- Click on internet options.
- Click on general tab.
- Now, click on a button with delete option, which is placed right under the column for browsing history.
- Select the files you want to delete. Mark a tick on cookies for temporary internet files and its history.
- Now, click on delete button to delete all the selected files.
4. Next you have to consider some of the factors whenever you install a program. The programs usually, keep an icon of the installed program in the taskbar. They run in the background and takes memory, hence responsible to slow down the speed of your computer. At the time of installation uncheck the button to put them in the taskbar or in quick launch.
5. Next, what you have to do is to remove all the unnecessary programs that start automatically on starting windows. For doing this open ‘run’ prompt and type msconfig to open the system configuration utility.
Now, click on the startup tab. It will now enlist all the programs that automatically start on the startup of your computer. Now, type their name on Google to find out their functionality. You can uncheck all the unnecessary programs in order to boot and run your computer faster than before.
6. Next, you have to go to add or remove programs through control panel and check for unnecessary programs. If there is any then remove it. You also need to remove the programs that you will not be using in the near future to make your computer run faster.